Thursday, June 25, 2009


Hi all! Well this has been another crazy week that still isn't even over!

Monday* was pretty relaxed and we all pretty much worked on our own projects for the day. Me and Alison, the other marketing intern, finally got our desks switched. She was placed in the office space by my mentor, and I was where she was supposed to be. So we finally got that figured out, and now I'm getting to work more with my mentor and another hair/fragrance marketer.

Tuesday* was so fun because we got to meet mark.'s new style expert, Brit Bardo!! Don't worry, I had never heard of her either until I got more involved with mark. But she is a young, hip woman that loves clothes and she provides great tips and pointers in all of our magalogs. Since she has been a hit with mark., they decided a while back to join with her and she created a clothing line, Rose, just for mark.! So Tuesday was when the PR department had the launch party for the line, and we got to go to the event afterwards (because there was an exlcusive invite list) but it was still fun and the venue/restaurant was adorable! It was at a place called Sweetiepie (ADORABLE!)....http://www.sweetiepierestaurant.com/photos.html.

They asked us not to a take any pictures of the actual event because there was 2 photographers they had there, but here is one of the Rose clothing line :o) The line has three pieces in it, the first mannequin has the black cardigan on, the middle has the green dress on, and the right has the black basic tee on:

The picture is hard to see the colors and details, but each piece is a great basic and I will be buying them when they come out :o) To read more about Brit's thoughts behind the line, go to her interview with Teen Vogue at: http://www.teenvogue.com/beauty/blogs/beauty/2009/01/20-questions-with-stylist-britt-bardo.html

For dinner this night, I FINALLY ate at my first street vendor!!...and it was delicious! I don't like hotdogs normally, but like everyone says, a New York hotdog is the way to go, and it's definitely true!

Wednesday* (yesterday) was a pretty long day. I really just sat at my desk and worked on my computer all day on my project. If I haven't explained already, in a nutshell, my project is to "revamped" and reposition our hair care line. We currently have great products in our line, but since they've all come out, none of them have been reformulated or repacked and a few products we don't provide are constantly strongly requested....so most of my time is spent on researching our current products, what our competitors have that our customers want, and I've also been looking at new innovative products and upcoming trends. So far it's pretty unorganized and I'm still not sure what I'll need to present at the end of the summer, but it's interesting to read and see more of this category that I'm normally not interested in.

Anyway, so I worked on the computer all day (and my eyes literally hurt for the rest of the day because I could tell I didn't move them enough or something) But we did have another Mark Your Mark lunch! This time the speaker was Polly Blitzer, and she used to work for InStyle magazine and Marie Claire, but is now running her own beauty website http://beautyblitz.com/. She was also really interesting, because we haven't heard from someone about the business side of things and how she started from scratch. I didn't take notes to share, but she basically talked about how her past jobs got her to her website now, and was really inspiring about starting your own business.

And I acutally just realized that I completely forgot to talk about last week's Make Your Mark speaker! Last Wednesday we had Meredith Kahn come in (who is actually Brit Bardo's best friend) and she has also created her own jewelry line. It's http://madeherthink.com/ and she is becoming very well known among celebrities through them wearing her pieces!

So now that I've caught you up on the speakers, I'll continue...so we had Polly come in and talk about her website and had the same delicious sandwiches that we get each Wednesday for these speakers :o) After the lunch, I worked for a while until the we had another "meeting", but this time it was with Night Agency. They are mark.'s agency that runs www.markgirl.com and they came in to use us as a focus group for trying to change the website and make it less confusing for customers (since there is http://www.meetmark.com/ and http://www.markgirl.com/ which are both mark., but one is the actual product site, and the other is just for PR.) So we had a focus group with them until it was time to leave.

Thursday* has been pretty slow since I got in this morning. My mentor hasn't really been coming in but the other girl I'm sitting with has really been more help to me since she's not so busy and knows more about what I need to do for my project. But she has been in meetings all morning, so that why I'm taking the time to write :o)

But now that I've caught you up on my week so far, I guess that's my cue to get back to work. All I'm working on today is a spreadsheet of competing products that I want mark. to create, and then hopefully sometime soon I will be able to go purchase our favorites to start using them and finding out if they could be our benchmark products.

I hope everyone has had a great week so far - only a day an half left :o)

Love you all,
Taylor

1 comment:

  1. I really like the look of the new clothing line. Any idea when it will come out?

    ReplyDelete