Friday, July 31, 2009

Great weekend already :o)

Good afternoon!

We just got the chance to meet Avon's CEO, Andrea Jung! She took an hour out of her day to sit and tell us her story as a very successful beauty industry CEO (1 of very few) and let us ask her any questions. She was really interesting to listen to and I like hearing her background of how she grew up and the struggles she's had has a female CEO...but honestly, I am very thankful I a part of the mark. brand and working under Claudia Poccia (mark.'s president). Maybe because we work in the same office as Claudia and there's literally two cubicles between me and her office, but she seems easier to relate to and talk to on a more personal level. I know being a CEO of a multi-billion dollar company is a little different, but Andrea didn't get as personal with us...like asking us to introduce ourselves like we do every week with whoever speaks to us.

But all in all, I got such a great feeling about working for (ultimately) Avon and how she "runs" the company as a compassionate woman. It was such an honor to get to sit with her and listen to her story, and I really wish more young women and business women could meet her! I might sound biased, but Andrea has struggled through her life to make it to the top as a female. She said leading Avon was never in her plans, but when she interviewed with them the very first time and learned how she could help the world but be in a corporate world as well, she said she instantly fell in love with the company and knew she wanted to strive to get to the top. Even after being passed up by an older man for 17 months, she still made it to become CEO, and is currently on her 10th year doing so.

Also, to make today even better, we finally got to sit down Claudia and have her tell us her story - which by the way is amazing! She is abosolutely one of the best people I know and I hope to stay in contact with her throughout my career. She has had her ups and downs as any business leader, but her personality and mannerisms are so personal and so welcoming. I wish I would have taken notes for both Andrea and Claudia, but I know that what they've shared and mentored me with, I will always have with me and will hopefully be able to share with everyone I know.

Now it's 5 and time to go, but I just wanted to share my excitement with everyone! Today was very inspiring..oh, and I got to sit down with mark.'s head marketing, Lily, and go over my project. I have been nervous for that for a week, but once we were in her office and going over everything, we had a great time! She was more relaxed than what she has always looked like, but we actually lost track of time and she really liked what I've been working on :o)

So now we are going to go to our last official intern social (also with the Avon interns) then hopefully I will get to see Barbara and Paige (Scott's aunt and cousin who are in town for the weekend!) Have a great friday night and I'll update you on the weekend soon!!

Love, Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment